Skopelos food presents the best out of traditional Greek cuisine yet embraces all fine tastes of international origin, such as grilled haloumi.
Haloumi cheese is a Cypriot semi-hard unripened brined cheese made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk and sometimes also cow’s milk.
It has a high melting point and this is why it can easily be fried or grilled. Grilled haloumi is the healthier option (when compared to fried) thus a favourite choice among Skopelos visitors, a choice you should definitely make at least once if you truly want to experience new tasty journeys.
Take a look on how we cook grilled haloumi, a unique Skopelos food choice for lunch or dinner.
- We select the finest haloumi that Cyprus produces and we cut it in slices.
- We place the slices on the grill –medium heat- and wait until they get a gold colour.
- To accentuate haloumi’s taste we make our signature ouzo sauce (ouzo is the famous greek drink).
- To make the sauce we mix well in a bowl some butter, dill, lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper and then add some ouzo.
- On the platter we place a vine leaf, on top of it we add the grilled haloumi and then add the sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Grilled haloumi will be on the top of your Skopelos food list as soon as you taste it. It just adds up to any main dish you select no matter if it is a traditional recipe or a dish inspired by the international cuisine. Simply order it at a local restaurant to find out why Skopelos food does not disappoint.
This post is also available in: Greek